ONTARIO RACING ASSOCIATION presents
THREE OFFICIAL CARA RACE MEETS
DAY ONE: 350 YARD CARA OVAL RACE MEET
DAY TWO: 350 YARD CARA OVAL RACE MEET
DAY THREE : 200 YARD CARA STRAIGHT RACE MEET
LOCATION: CODRINGTON, ONTARIO
Sat., Sun. & Mon. May 17, 18 & 19th, 2014 (Victoria Day Weekend)
Go To: ~ Roll Call ~ Entries ~ Other Info ~ Facilities ~ Awards ~ Directions ~ Online Entry ~
ELIGIBLE ENTRY (CARA)
* Open to any Afghan Hound, Basenji, Borzoi, Greyhound, Ibizan Hound, Irish Wolfhound, Italian Greyhound, Pharaoh Hound, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Saluki, Scottish Deerhound, Sloughi, Thai Ridgeback, Whippet, and any other breed recognized as a sighthound by a Recognized Registering body.
* Hounds must be one year of age or older to be eligible to race.
* All hounds must be pre-certified prior to entering their first CARA race meet. SPECIAL NOTE: Any dog which has not previously run must be pre-certified before entering. Certifications will be available Saturday after the race meet IF there are dogs not entered for the entire iron dog whose owners are willing to run them for qualifiers. Dogs which have FCh, MC, ORC, GRC or CR are exempt from pre-certification requirements, however, ALL DOGS (including newly certified, those exempt from certification and those who ran last year) will be on probation for 2 race meets. Please read the CARA rules on the web site regarding Pre-qualifications and Disqualifications.
* All hounds must be individually registered with the AKC, CKC, NGA, or any foreign registry recognized by the AKC. Hounds with an ILP or CKC equivalent (when available) may also be entered.
* All hounds must be registered with CARA. Every dog not already registered must submit payment of $2.00 and a photocopy of AKC, NGA or CKC papers with your entry. CARA registration is for the life of the dog.
NOTE SPECIAL ROLL CALL TIMES!
INSPECTION AND ROLL CALL
CARA 350 Oval *10:00 A.M. ROLL CALL SATURDAY May 17 *
CARA 350 Oval *8:00 A.M. ROLL CALL SUNDAY May 18 *
CARA 200 Straight *
ROLL CALL MONDAY May 19*
Please Dress, (ie: Boots, Hat & Sunscreen, Bug repellent) appropriately for the weather!
PLEASE BRING PLENTY OF WATER FOR YOUR DOGS,
THERE IS LIMITED SHADE!
are $15.00 per first hound per day, $10.00 per subsequent hound to a maximum
of $40.00 per day, per meet. If you are entering the entire 3 day event,
entry fees are $40.00 first hound, $25.00 each subsequent hound, to a maximum of
Pre-entries may be sent by fax, phone or on-line
**** Pre-entries for these events CLOSES EARLY...on WEDNESDAY MAY 14 at MIDNIGHT! YOU MAY TELEPHONE YOUR PRE-ENTRIES TO 613-707-3088 UP UNTIL CLOSING TIME AND LEAVE A DETAILED MESSAGE INCLUDING YOUR NAME, YOUR DOG'S CALL NAME & BREED.
PLEASE LET US KNOW YOU ARE PLANNING TO COME!!!
* POST-ENTRIESfor the CARA meet are $20.00 ($60.00 for the 3 day entry fee) per dog per day. Post-entries will be taken up to 1/2 hour prior to roll call.
* Make cheques payable to R. Jamieson.
* Send Entries via email to Race Secretary:
To pre-enter this CARA Race Meet via an Email Form....Click here!
* The CARA OVAL track is a 350 yard banked u-val in a field. The STRAIGHT track is 200 yards.
* All CARA STRAIGHT races are 200 yards, and dogs will run three times unless scratched, or disqualified.
* All CARA OVAL races are 350 yards (uval), and dogs will run three times unless scratched, or disqualified.
* All racers must wear muzzles and blankets. Blankets & muzzles will be available for loan or sale. Muzzles & race blankets can be ordered for purchase from Laurie Soutar (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Janet Trowbridge (http://www.sighthoundstuff.com), or from Morrco (http://www.morrco.com/itpoldogmuz.html). Racing blankets can be pre-ordered from Sirius Dog Supplies, or Janet Trowbridge (http://www.sighthoundstuff.com).
* All programs will be 4 dog races maximum; dogs run within their breed only unless there are single breeds who wish to run a Mixed Stake race. All owners/handlers must be in agreement to do so, in order to run a Mixed Stake.
* All breeds will be box started or hand slipped, except whippets, greyhounds & Italian greyhounds which must be box started. ORA prefers all breeds to use the boxes. Competitors of breeds other than whippets, greyhounds, LHWs & Italian greyhounds must be in agreement on whether to use box or slip starts.
LUNCH will be POT LUCK on Saturday, & Sunday so bring something to share. We will decide after the second program whether to eat between 2nd & 3rd program or wait until the meet is finished. The meet will run through on Monday, so people can leave immediately following its completion.
SATURDAY & SUNDAY EVENINGS, AFTER THE RACE MEETS, WE WILL GO OUT TO DINNER AT A LOCAL RESTAURANT. ANYONE IS WELCOME TO JOIN US!
* There is very limited shade, please bring your own. Water is available, there is also a cold stream beside the first 50 yards of the oval track & a large pond in the centre of the oval track.
* Rough camping is permitted on site (an outhouse is available at the site).
* Motels that allow dogs:
Presquile Beach Motel, 243 Main St.(Hwy 2) Brighton, Ontario Telephone: 613-475-1010
Holiday Inn, Glen Miller Rd., Trenton, (at the 401) Telephone: 613-394-4855 or 1-800-465-4329
OR check the PetsWelcome Website for
hotels accepting dogs in the Brighton or Trenton area:
* Please note:
Free snacks & coffee / Iced Tea mix will be available
first thing in the morning. Water will be available as well.
* CARA: Trophies and rosettes
for Best of Breed, ribbons for 2nd through 5th.
* Breeds with an entry of 5 or more will also have trophies for High Scoring Veteran (over 6 years CARA), High Scoring Field Champion, High Scoring Show Champion, High Scoring First Time Entered.
* There will be Trophies and Certificates for each BOB
Iron Dog (3 day scores total), Trophy for Overall BEST
VETERAN Iron Dog, and Trophy for Overall BEST OF OPPOSITE SEX
Iron Dog, and honorable mention for the 2nd & 3rd place overall Iron Dogs.
* FROM TORONTO: Hwy 401East to Hwy 30 North (exit 509); Proceed north on hwy 30 for 6.5 kms; Turn left (west) onto Goodrich Road (there is a Conservation Area sign); Proceed for not quite 2 kms, field is on the right (north) side of the road, just past #64. Signs will be posted.
** ALTERNATE ROUTE FROM TORONTO USING HWY 407: Take the toll highway 407 east to Brock Road. Continue straight ahead past the lights onto highway #7. Continue eastbound to THICKSON ROAD. Turn right (south) down Thickson. Continue to EASTBOUND 401 Ramp. Take 401 east to Exit #509 (Brighton/Campbellford). Go north on County Road #30 for 6.5 km. Turn left (west) onto Goodrich Road (there is a Conservation Area sign on #30 before you reach Goodrich Rd.); Proceed for not quite 2 kms, field is on the right (north) side of the road, just past #64. Signs will be posted. .
* FROM KINGSTON: Hwy 401West to Hwy 30 North (exit 509). Continue as above.
*FROM OTTAWA: Take Hwy #7 West
to Highway #30 South (left turn). It is approximately 45 minute drive to
Codrington, proceed south of Codrington about 3 kms to Goodrich Road (Conservation
Area Sign there as well) and turn right (west). Continue down Goodrich road
for about 2 kms to the field which is on the right (north) side of the road.
Signs will be posted.
OR Take Hwy 416 south to 401 west to Hwy 30 North (exit 509); Proceed north on hwy 30 for 6.5 kms; Turn left (west) onto Goodrich Road (there is a Conservation Area sign); Proceed for not quite 2 kms, field is on the right (north) side of the road, just past #64. Signs will be posted.
find your hound's CARA registration number click here